Most IRCTC users face lots of problems in opening IRCTC login page usually between 10:00 am and 11:00 am on any day as this is the timing when tatkal ticket booking opens and nearly 40,000 to 45,000 tickets are booked through IRCTC online portal. During these timings, if somehow users succeed in login through IRCTC login page, it takes ages to book an e-ticket successfully.
Arrival of Faster Ticket Booking Process for IRCTC Users
To solve the above problem and to bring convenience to the rail users, Indian Railways through Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), a Public Sector Undertaking under the Ministry of Railway, is about to make its server more robust by upgrading these servers from dual-core to hexa-core ones. Slow response time problem of IRCTC site may go away after this update.
Causes of Slow Response Time of IRCTC Site during Peak Hours
Following are the main reasons of Slow Response Time of IRCTC Site, usually, during Peak Hours:
- Every day, nearly 4.50 lakh tickets are booked online through IRCTC website but IRCTC server can handle a limited number of users at a time so other users attempting to login could not be able to login at that time.
- According to mid-day news, presently, the capacity of the server is 6 lakh per day and 1,600 people can access the website at a time. Currently over 10 lakh people try to book tickets online in a day. At this rate, it is impossible to cater to a huge demand. This leads to the website hanging, especially while issuing tickets.
- Only 1,600 people simultaneously can access the ticket booking option on the IRCTC website, but at times over 1 lakh IRCTC users attempt to make online bookings at a time. This brings over-crowded situation. Due to this last month alone, over 35 lakh transactions were rejected due to the server being overloaded by attempts to gain access.
- Sometimes, amounts get deducted from bank account but ticket is not booked due to connection error between bank’s server and IRCTC’s server.
- Logging in with fake IRCTC IDs is a major problem. According to latest mid-day news, many unregistered agents book tickets by creating several IDs. In last month, IRCTC have deleted over 10 lakh fake Ids from the system. IRCTC is trying to develop a system to restrict anyone logging in with fake IDs.
- Low server capacity is also a reason of slower response. IRCTC is trying to increase the server capacity. According to senior IRCTC officers, “no server can provide service to 1 lakh commuters at a time”. But increasing the server capacity would lessen the problem of IRCTC users.
Updates on Advancement of IRCTC Server to Streamline Ticket Booking
To overcome the slow response time problem, IRCTC is about to update the server. Following are the key features of the updated server:
- Dual-core servers would be upgraded to hexa-core servers.
- The RAM would be upgraded to 64 GB.
- Upgraded servers can process 60,000-65,000 tatkal tickets.
- About 80 lakh concurrent connections could be enabled in place of 10 lakh at present.
- Flash memory chips are now being customized into storage devices to manage huge volumes of data in servers.
- This may reduce delay in response time.
- It is expected that upgraded server would allow users to open IRCTC portal within seconds.
We should welcome this initiative being taken by IRCTC for making hassle-free online e-ticket booking experience. We hope, by this way IRCTC users can easily book train tickets online through upgraded servers. This will definitely bring faster e-ticket booking process through IRCTC online. Share your views/comments about this updates on faster ticket booking using IRCTC site.